Professional russian translation for the russian market
When it comes to Russian translation, it is definitely not as simple as it seems.
Before we go into the challenges of performing Russian translation, let us examine the following information about the Russian language:
- There are 12 variations with Russian nouns, depending on how they are used in a sentence.
- The number of verb variations is also hard to count, as the ending depends on verb tense, gender, mood, and amount.
- All these factors contribute to a word form which is highly context-specific. Just to illustrate the above, simply by swapping two words in a sentence, you can totally change its mood and tone.
- It is also a different ball game altogether when you look at rules governing the use of punctuation. For example, the Russian language typically uses the so-called chevrons («») instead of quotation marks.
All these rules peculiar to the Russian language, makes Russian translation a challenging task. When handling Russian translation, you may face the following challenges:
- As almost every word in Russian has 10 direct synonyms, it becomes a challenge for the translators to find out the word that convey the meaning true meaning of the source word precisely.
- Because of the diverse nature of the Russian language, it is important for the extensive research to be done when translating.
- A good Russian Translation is the one that has utilises appropriate terminologies for the target sector for example hospitality, legal and other sectors. As such, a good Russian translator must be kept updated with the latest development and changes in these terminologies.
- Ensuring that you are well-versed in each and every grammatical aspect of the Russian language is also something that haunts most Russian translators.
- Translation is subjective. Yes. Even in Russian. Most of the time, it would work best for the client and the translator to work closely to create glossaries and guidelines to ensure the final translation output is fit for its purpose.
- When translating from English into Russian, the text expands approximately 15%. You have to bear this in mind especially when it comes to layout of translated text. Do cater space for such expansion.
There are much more things to consider than just getting someone who knows Russian to handle translation into Russian. As the Russian saying goes ‘Sem’ raz otmer, odin otrezh’, which literally means to “measure seven times, cut once”. It means to take any action; precise planning is required for accuracy.
Hence, it is important to engage the appropriate linguist. Do things right the first time, so that you do not have to do it again!
About the Russian language
With more than 170 million speakers of the language in the world, the Russian language indeed has a significant global presence. It is the 7th most spoken language in the world and the most spoken out of all Slavic languages. Russian is also popular among communities in the United States, Norway, Ukraine and Romania.
If you are thinking of picking up the Russian language, you may be intrigued by the mysterious nature of this language at first. This is evident when you examine the Russian Cyrillic alphabet.
There are 33 letters, which are divided into 10 vowels, 21 consonants and 2 letters, which do not have any sound. Each letter can be capital or small. Due to its uniqueness, beginners can find learning how to master the language to be both exciting and overwhelming at the same time. The grammar and punctuation of the Russian language is also a great challenge for many. Yet, learning Russian can be a very worthwhile experience.
There are about 200,000 words in the Russian language. You will be surprised that many words have more than one meaning!
In addition, a quarter of scientific publications are written in Russian language, which shows the significance the language in our world.
Fun fact: If you are planning to become an astronaut, learning Russian is a must! Russian is known as one of the official languages of space, and in case of emergencies, some instructions are given in Russian. Believe it or not but if you want to become an astronaut, a mandatory homestay in Moscow is necessary as part of the training?
About Russia – from russia with love
What comes to your mind when you think of Russia? The famous James Bond movie titled ‘From Russia With Love’? The capital Moscow?
Stretching over a vast area of eastern Europe and Northern Asia, Russia is by far the world’s largest country. If that is not enough to convince you of how big it is, the whole Russia covers 11 time zones!!
With a population of more than 144 million, there are more than 120 ethnic groups in Russia, with most of them being ethnic Russians. Most of the Russian population can be found in the European portion of the country, congregating around Moscow, its capital. Apart from Moscow, St. Petersburg is the other important cultural and financial centres in Russia.
With the fall of Communism, Russia is slowly but surely enroute to a free market and world participation. This also means that the market in Russia, although huge, is still largely untouched. If you want a first-mover’s advantage, you perhaps should consider Russia as a destination for market penetration.
Your best choice for professional russian translation
When it comes to Russian translation, it is very important to get the right Russian translators with enough training and professional experience to produce Russian translations that are fit for its purpose
With more than 2 decades of experience in providing English to Russian and Russian to English translation services, we can share this valuable experience with you.
With our ISO 17100 certification and a pool of native Russian translators built over the last 20 years to support your Russian translation needs, you know your translations are in good hands.
Providing Russian translation solutions for the Russian market, is definitely our forte. When you work with us for your professional Russian translation requirement, you know you are getting expert advice and solutions from the source.
You can now leave the tedious task of translation to our professional team of linguists and project managers, while leaving you with more time to do what matters most to you.
Contact us now at +65 6570 0138 or fill up our web inquiry form immediately. We are ready to share our experience with you.
WHY CHOOSE US?
With more than 20 years of proven excellence in translation services, Lingua Technologies International is one of the pioneers in offering Multilingual Translation Service Solution to Singapore and the region. The company takes pride in making translation an invaluable experience. With the ISO 17100 certification, you now have a peace of mind that your translation projects are always processed and handled by professionals in accordance to guidelines and standards set forth in this ISO certification specification developed for Translation Businesses worldwide. You can now leave the tedious task of translation to our professional team of linguists and project managers, while you work on what matters most to you: your business.